Shikakai, also known as the hair fruit, has been used as a hair care ingredient for centuries now. The Ayurvedic herb is often used as a shampoo replacement because of its excellent cleansing properties. Popularly found in central India, Shikakai is also rich in antioxidants and vitamins A, C, K, and D, which help nourish hair and keep it healthy. The fruit is easily available, especially in powdered form. Here’s how it can help boost hair growth.
Benefits Of Shikakai For Hair Growth
- Soothes Your Scalp - A healthy scalp is literally the foundation for healthy hair growth. Shikakai can soothe an inflamed scalp with its cooling antiseptic properties, restoring its health. It also helps maintain the optimum pH level of your scalp.
- Fights Dandruff - Shikakai also has antifungal properties that help curb dandruff. This prevents issues like follicle-clogging and aggravation, leading to unhindered hair growth. It also effectively deals with dryness and itching.
- Nourishes Your Follicles - Shikakai is a great source of essential vitamins. Its vitamin C content, especially, helps promote hair growth by giving your scalp a collagen boost. It is also a great source of antioxidants that help prevent free-radical damage.
- Cleanses Your Hair - Shikakai is a natural mild cleanser. Which means that it cleanses your hair without stripping away the natural oils from it. Not only does this help keep your hair clean, but it also helps keep your hair conditioned.
- Adds Shine - Shikakai helps add shine to your hair while also making it much more manageable. If you have a tangle problem, it would be a good idea to include this ingredient in your hair care routine.
- Prevents Grays - Using shikakai can help put off your hair’s natural graying process. It also effectively deals with issues like premature graying. Washing your hair with shikakai before you dye it will also allow your hair to absorb the dye better.
- Curbs Hair Loss - Shikakai helps curb hair loss by restoring scalp health. It effectively deals with issues like an aggravated scalp, follicle-clogging, dandruff, and itching. In many cases, curbing hair fall is as simple as restoring scalp health.
- Prevents Lice - There is nothing more annoying than head lice. Especially when you have children, who are much more susceptible to them. Shikakai is a natural solution to a head lice problem; not only does it curb the problem but also keeps the head lice away for good with regular use.
How To Use Shikakai For Hair Growth
- Shikakai Shampoo With Amla And Reetha You Will Need10g Shikakai pods, 10g Reetha, 5g Amla, 750 ml Water (You can also use the powdered forms of these ingredients.)
- Prep Time - 8 hours+20 minutes
- Processing Time - 5 minutes
- Soak the ingredients in 750 mL of water overnight.
- In the morning, boil the water with the ingredients still in it until the pods completely soften.
- Let the water cool, and then mash the ingredients together. Strain the liquid and store it in a shampoo bottle.
- Rinse your hair with water and use the shikakai solution in place of your regular shampoo.
- You might have you wash your hair twice with the shampoo for it to lather. (Unlike store-bought shampoos, this will not lather much.)
- When a slight lather appears, it means your hair is clean and can be rinsed.
2-3 times a week.
Why This Works - Shikakai is an inexpensive and healthier alternative to using store bought shampoos that are laden with harsh chemicals. This natural shampoo helps nourish the scalp with nutrients like vitamin D and C while also cleansing it.