The important health benefits of neem leaves include its ability to treat dandruff, soothe irritation, protect the skin, boost the immune system, and reduce inflammation. It also speeds up woundhealing, treats gastric conditions, slows the aging process, improves hair and scalp health, maintains sexual organ health, has anti-cancer potential, and helps treat diabetes.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits of this herb.
- Antibacterial Potential - Research published in the Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine journal states that one of the most widely recognized benefits of neem powder, oil, leaves, tea, and every other derivative is its strong antibacterial and antimicrobial effects. This comes into play both internally and externally, which is why neem is considered to be such a general tonic for the immune system and as a simple way to keep your overall health better protected. It is commonly associated with treating skin conditions, but its effects are far more extensive than that!
- Reduces Dandruff - A 2011 study on the medicinal properties of neem suggests that the antifungal and antibacterial properties of neem make it very popular in shampoos and scalp cleansers. This is because it can help the skin remain hydrated and eliminate dandruff while strengthening your hair. It also improves the health of your hair follicles due to its antioxidant content. In fact, it is even used in traditional medicines to stimulate hair growth and prevent male-pattern baldness.
- Detoxifies the Body - Whether you are using neem powder, paste, leaves, consuming its extracts in supplements or in some other form, the active ingredients in this one-stop pharmacy tree will help to rid the body of toxins. Research conducted at the Department of Cell Biology & Anatomy, School of Medicine, the University of North Carolina, USA states that neem stimulates the liver, helping eliminate toxins quickly and optimizing the body’s metabolic activities. A great deal of detritus accumulates on our skin every day, including germs, microbes, dust, and grime; neem paste can help neutralize these chemicals, pathogens, or dirt that can cause irritation or illness.
- Treats Acne - In terms of treating acne, neem paste is observed to eliminate much of grease and bacteria that can exacerbate the condition. The antibacterial nature of neem also helps prevent future breakouts, while the antioxidants in it will help minimize scarring and keep the skin looking fresh and clean. It also has astringent properties, which reduces the chances of skin sagging or wrinkles and aging. This is due to the fatty acids in neem oil, as well as the high content of vitamin E.
- Improves Gastric Health - Consuming neem has been directly connected with a reduction in inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract, which helps reduce ulcers and a wide range of other intestinal issues, such as constipation, bloating, and cramping. It can also be used as a quick healing antidote for stomach flu and other infections that can destroy beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- Anti-cancer Properties - Studies based on animal models indicate that neem extracts can play a pivotal role in anti-cancer management. Research conducted by Mohammad A. Alzohairy (2016) showed that neem contains flavonoids and other compounds that potentially reduce cancer risk. Another study published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 2005 (Subapriya R. et al.) states that ethanolic neem leaf extract also helps activate the tumor suppressor gene.
How To Use Neem Powder For Skin and Hair (How to use Neem powder for hair)
- To treat dandruff - Make a paste of neem powder mixed with water. Add few drops of olive oil or almond oil with it. Apply the paste on the scalp to combat dandruff. If you have oily scalp, avoid adding the oil. Leave the paste on the scalp for one hour and then shampoo.
- To deep condition hair - Take 2 tbsp each of neem powder, amla powder, shikakai powder and reetha powder. Add water and make a paste. This pack, when used regularly deep condition our hair and makes hair soft, smooth and gorgeous. This pack also keeps different scalp issues at bay.
- To combat hair loss & treat lice - Make a thick paste of neem powder and water and massage onto the scalp. Leave on for 30 minutes and rinse off with a mild herbal shampoo. This pack nourishes the scalp and promotes hair growth. This hair pack also cleanses the scalp thoroughly, and so it also can be used to treat lice.
- To maintain healthy scalp and gorgeous hair - Make a pack using 2 tbsp of neem powder, honey, lemon juice, black tea, henna powder and 1 tbsp each of yogurt and coffee. This hair pack, if used regularly, can maintain healthy scalp as well as super gorgeous hair.